About UFP Technologies:
UFP Technologies is a producer of innovative custom-engineered components, products, and specialty packaging. Using foams, plastics, composites, and natural fiber materials, we design and manufacture a vast range of solutions primarily for the medical, automotive, aerospace & defense, electronics, consumer, and industrial markets. Our team acts as an extension of customers’ in-house research, engineering and manufacturing groups, working closely with them to solve their most complex product and packaging challenges. For our customers, innovation takes many shapes. But each solution is shaped by a level of design, materials and process expertise that is unique to UFP Technologies.
UFP Technologies is the leading designer and manufacturer of molded pulp/molded fiber packaging solutions made from 100% recycled paper. Our cost effective and environmentally friendly solutions reduce labor and save space while providing superior protection at every stage of a product’s sales cycle.
Position Location: El Paso, Texas
Summary: The Engineering Technician will support the on-going production requirements of new automated production lines and will work closely with the manufacturing and maintenance departments to ensure these lines are functioning to standards. May be responsible for developing manufacturing methods for new parts, making concept samples and assisting production with process problems on jobs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides technical support for and learns to operate automated production lines. Provides training support to machine operators for these lines. Serves as primary interface between UFP and equipment suppliers for these lines for troubleshooting and resolving production problems. Oversees the maintenance of these lines. Analyzes production rates and works to improve.
- Works with technical staff on projects related to product development, process development or manufacturing support, depending on the work area of the job.
- Performs laboratory work involving sample preparation and testing.
- Makes accurate measurements. Records and reports data, including performing part inspection using calipers, tape measure and a comparator.
- Uses experience and knowledge to assist the estimating department in quoting new jobs/products.
- Makes proof of concept and pre-production parts samples per customer request.
- May quote or assist in preparing quotes for new parts using historical job and operations data and software database.
- Understands and troubleshoots and/or replaces or repairs PLC controllers, vision systems and other automation controls.
- May write machine programs using AutoCad or MasterCam or be able to train on the software.
- Researches and develops new methods of fabrication. Recommends revisions to methods of operation, material handling, equipment layout and/or other changes to increasing production or improving standards.
- Assists production with quality and throughput problems by analyzing process steps with respect to the quoted rate and recommending changes.
- Follows verbal and written instructions.
- Reads and understands design drawings, PLC program diagrams and other process documents as required.
- Fills out all necessary paperwork and prepares reports.
- Operates all applicable foamed, rigid and plastic converting manufacturing, tooling and testing equipment to make parts/ perform tests as required. Manufacturing equipment includes but is not limited to vacuum former, RF welder, D-1 slicer, clicker dies, band saws, routers and compression molding equipment. Designs blade dies as required to support prototype and production fabrication.
Education / Experience:
- High School, GED or Vocational School along with advanced course work.
- Experience with PLC programming, vision systems and other machine controls required.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with ability to follow instructions.
- Certificate in MasterCam/programming, AutoCad and/or Solidworks drafting a plus.
- Knowledge of basic trade mathematics, basic computer skills, and ability to read and work from blueprints in 2D and 3D.
- Proficient with inspection and measuring equipment.
- 2-3 years production manufacturing experience using CNC and manual controlled machines. Experience working with rigid and plastic materials, packaging and foam materials preferred.
UFP Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Apply to this job on-line - Click Here