About Dielectrics a UFP Technologies Company:
Dielectrics is the recognized leader in the design, development, and manufacturer of medical devices using thermoplastic materials. Our advanced suite of technologies, innovative processes and highest quality materials successfully bring our client’s products from concept to market. We share our customers’ excitement for innovation. We think there’s always a better way – whether it’s through subtle design improvements, changes in materials or the development of custom manufacturing equipment.
Position Location: Chicopee, MA
Summary: The Lab Supervisor will be part of the manufacturing team responsible for the execution of manufacturing and development projects. The Lab Supervisor will oversee the manufacturing side of these projects to ensure delivery of product builds to the customer are on schedule, resources are properly allocated, and inventory is controlled and planned. The Lab Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing day to day activities in the laboratory. This includes supervision of a group of up to 3-8 laboratory technicians as well as, be involved in scheduling/planning projects, resource planning, safety in the lab and performance/discipline of direct reports.
The responsibility of this position is managing specialized work efficiently, with confidence and competence. The position requires above average attention to detail, communication skills, ability to interpret Sample Request Forms (SRF) with the commercial team, concern for the exact correctness of work, and strong commitment to tasks completed on time. The person in this position has a strong sense of duty and is disciplined. A somewhat faster-than-average pace will be the norm for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and communicate weekly updated work schedules.
- Coordinate & reconcile of PO’s and invoicing monthly.
- Coordinate lab shipping activities related documentation, material picking activities, and material ordering requirements.
- Lead lab technicians to deliver quality products and service to customers, comply with safety standards, and ensure financial and strategic targets are met.
- Responsible for the technical management of commercial projects to successful completion, inclusive of timelines, resource allocation, and capabilities.
- Manage staffing levels to match workloads, coordinating with production and maintenance management, as required.
- Effectively communicate tooling design requirements and track delivery schedules with CAD design team.
- Identify delivery challenges in a timely manner, escalating issues to appropriate management members, proposing corrective action measures.
- Drive high quality and timely execution of sample production through “Sample Request Forms” (SRF).
- Develop strong technology competencies within team to support multiple projects within assigned area. Coach and mentor team to promote their development and training.
- Prepare & review research reports and presentations for internal and external customers.
- Provide technical guidance to customers based on own expertise and knowledge of the market and business.
- Develop new research or design of experiments (DOE).
- Work with other managers on the contribution by staff supporting initiatives to resolve issues, understand timeline impacts, and monitor progress monthly.
- Effectively engage and maintain intimate relationship between product, process, and manufacturing teams related to products and developments.
- Contributes to value creation in the working environment, specifically in the development of experimental facilities through outside contacts, knowledge of technology and developments relevant for the area of application and the business.
- Ensure labs and work spaces are organized and clean.
- Responsible for the organization & management of retains and tooling, including material storage and sample logs. Includes pictures, videos and drawings.
- Report out on all costs related to product builds in lab (Time and Materials).
Education / Training:
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience of technical staff.
- Experience working in an engineering, manufacturing or lab setting.
- Experience with ERP/planning systems is a plus.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Capable of prioritizing tasks to meet goals and ensure product quality.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and carry out experimental programs.
- Experience managing projects and change management skills to manage timelines and delegating to team members appropriately with clarity.
- Must be able to communicate and interact effectively with commercial and technical team.
- Coach/mentor technician team.
- Must be able to discuss in detail, the scientific basis of an experimental approach to internal /external customers.
- PC literate, knowledge of MS Excel, Word and Outlook required.
- Advanced Excel computer skills in calculations and data interpretation preferred.
- Sufficient business acumen to effectively engage commercial team.
- Knowledge in RF (Radio Frequency), impulse urethane welding and thermal plastic films preferred.
We offer the right candidate a competitive compensation package that includes a full menu of benefits including health and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, paid time off and 401(k) with company match.
The position requires a candidate to evidence their ability to live and work unsponsored in the United States as an employment contingency.
Please apply here.
UFP Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.