About UFP Technologies:
UFP Technologies is a producer of innovative custom-engineered components, products, and specialty packaging. Using foams, plastics, composites, and natural fiber materials, we design and manufacture a vast range of solutions primarily for the medical, automotive, aerospace & defense, electronics, consumer, and industrial markets. Our team acts as an extension of customers’ in-house research, engineering and manufacturing groups, working closely with them to solve their most complex product and packaging challenges. For our customers, innovation takes many shapes. But each solution is shaped by a level of design, materials and process expertise that is unique to UFP Technologies.
Position Location: Newburyport, Massachusetts
Applies advanced knowledge of continuous improvement engineering theory and methods to design, integrate, and improve companywide manufacturing systems or related processes and new process development. Work with designers, to refine product designs to increase manufacturability and decrease costs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Applies lean manufacturing techniques to reduce manufacturing waste.
- Conducts time studies and adjusts production standards as required
- Designs and oversee the fabrication of manufactures tooling and fixtures to support continuous improvement projects.
- coordinates fabrication of tools and fixtures to be used in production
- Continually monitors scrap rates and initiates projects reduce scrap cost in manufacturing
- Works with team leaders and production management to reviews shop order variances (material and labor) and initiates projects to eliminate variances and improve actual cost performance.
- Train work cell team members in continuous improvement working with team leaders and production supervision to create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Manages activities of manufacturing engineer I’s and green belts as required.
- Prepare Work Instructions to communicate the proper set-up and operation of manufacturing processes to produce products which meet customer requirements.
- Trains production team member in the development and use of visual production tools to promote improvements to product quality and production efficiency,
- Collects and utilizes data to make data driven decisions
- Provides reports summarizing problem solving and corrective action efforts to production teams and customers as required.
- Ability to assist in the design, install and troubleshoot basic manufacturing equipment such as jigs, fixtures and gages
- Utilizes six sigma tools and methodologies to determine root cause of failures using statistical methods and recommends changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Prepares estimates and proposals for projects to aid in the approval of continuous improvement projects through knowledge of UFP manufacturing capabilities and appropriate materials selection.
- Submits capital projects for approval, as required.
- Tracks continuous improvements projects and reports results monthly.
- Prepares reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Trains production personnel in new or existing methodology.
- Support new product transfer into production, working with our design team on new product designs to ensure that our processes are capable of meeting customer requirements.
- Interacts with customers, account managers, manufacturing personnel, vendors and team members whenever necessary to satisfy project requirements.
Education / Experience:
- BS in engineering or relevant discipline and 10+ years of continuous improvement experience in a manufacturing environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have experience managing continuous improvement green belts and technical engineers responsible for continuous improvement.
- Must have a proven track record in apply lean manufacturing and other continuous improvement manufacturing methodologies. Experience with GD&T, CAD, Minitab, MS Project strongly desired.
- Proven track record applying statistical analysis to develop and control processes in a manufacturing environment
- Manufacturing experience must include heavy emphasis on assembly operations, tooling evaluation, vendor qualification, facilities engineering and cost savings through process improvement.
- Basic Bridgeport, lathe and other machine shop equipment desired.
Please click here to apply.
UFP Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled