About UFP Technologies:
UFP Technologies is an innovative designer and custom manufacturer of components, subassemblies, products, and packaging primarily for the medical market. Utilizing highly specialized foams, films and plastics, UFP converts raw materials through laminating, molding, radio frequency welding, and fabricating techniques. The Company is diversified by also providing highly engineered solutions to customers in the aerospace & defense, automotive, consumer, electronics and industrial markets.
Position Location: Chicopee, MA
Summary: The Manufacturing Engineer applies knowledge of continuous improvement to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, and cost-effectiveness. May design, or work with designers to refine product designs, to increase manufacturability, and decrease costs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Applies lean manufacturing techniques to reduce medical device manufacturing waste.
- Conducts time studies and adjusts production standards for medical device products as required.
- Understands regulatory and industry requirements for medical device manufacturing (GMP, RoHS, REACH, etc.).
- Provides direct production area support and identifies potential process improvements, efficiencies and safety issues. Continually monitors scrap rates and initiates projects to reduce scrap cost in manufacturing.
- Works with team leaders and production management to review shop order variances (material and labor) and initiates projects to eliminate variances and improve actual cost performance.
- Prepares work instructions to communicate the proper set-up and operation of manufacturing processes to produce products which meet customer requirements.
- Trains production team members in the development and use of visual production tools to promote improvements to product quality and production efficiency.
- Collects and utilizes data to make data driven decisions.
- Provides reports summarizing problem solving and corrective action efforts to production teams and customers as required.
- Ability to assist in the design, installation and troubleshooting of basic manufacturing equipment.
- Identifies root cause of failures using statistical methods and recommends changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Prepares estimates and proposals for projects to aid in the approval of continuous improvement projects through knowledge of manufacturing capabilities and appropriate materials selection.
- Submits capital projects for approval, as required.
- Prepares reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Works to develop a detailed understanding of customer requirements for new product launches and product sustainment. Completes all documentation required for PPAP submittal (FAI, PFMEA, SOP, etc.).
- Properly drafts and submits ECRs and SICRs internally and externally to document changes to products or processes.
- Supports new product transfer into production, working with our design team. Interacts with customers, account managers, manufacturing personnel, vendors and team members whenever necessary to satisfy project requirements.
- Performs validations (IQ/OQ/PQ activities) on products to ensure proper performance to designated specifications. Drafts, executes, and reports validation protocols internally and externally.
- BS in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering and 3+ years work experience in the medical device industry. Experience with all medical device devices.
- Experience interpreting CAD and Solidworks designs.
- Must have knowledge of lean manufacturing and other continuous improvement manufacturing methodologies.
- Proven track record applying statistical analysis to develop and control processes in a manufacturing environment.
- Manufacturing experience must include heavy emphasis on assembly operations, tooling evaluation, vendor qualification, facilities engineering and cost savings through process improvement.
- Must be available to work in the plant regularly to properly oversee projects and issues.
UFP Technologies, Inc. offers a full benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401K with a matching contribution, paid time off, paid holidays, employee discounts and much more!
Please apply here.
UFP Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.