About UFP Technologies:
UFP Technologies is a producer of innovative custom-engineered components, products, and specialty packaging. Using foams, plastics, composites, and natural fiber materials, we design and manufacture a vast range of solutions primarily for the medical, automotive, aerospace & defense, electronics, consumer, and industrial markets. Our team acts as an extension of customers’ in-house research, engineering and manufacturing groups, working closely with them to solve their most complex product and packaging challenges. For our customers, innovation takes many shapes. But each solution is shaped by a level of design, materials and process expertise that is unique to UFP Technologies.
Position Location: Newburyport, MA
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Operations Manager will lead the production staff in Massachusetts to focus on driving improvements designed to increase service levels while driving cost reduction. Disciplines under the Operations Manager’s direction include Maintenance, Production Control, Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering Shipping/Receiving, Warehousing and Distribution. She/he will be responsible for promoting the application of “lean tools” to eliminate waste and improve workflow in support of quality improvement and cost reduction initiatives in all aspects of the business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and maintains a philosophy of continuous manufacturing improvement, utilizing key performance indicators and an ongoing system of prioritization and communication with all manufacturing employees.
- Drives the development of production teams (cells) by aligning roles and responsibilities in support of:
- Achieving service levels targets for on-time delivery.
- Meeting existing product quality requirements.
- Producing product at existing material and labor standards.
- Drives “team based” continuous improvement on the production floor.
- Recognizes and rewards individual and team improvements.
- Implements “visual controls” on the production floor which communicate objectives and monitor production team performance against those objectives.
- Works with Corporate Estimating to develop cost estimates for new business while creating a closed loop system capturing actual cost and providing feedback vs. quote. Maintains accurate standard costs.
- Drives team development and employee engagement in continuous improvement throughout the organization, designed to improve service levels and reduce costs.
- Manages the development and training of a flexible workforce. Will insure the creation, documentation and compliance to quality management system procedures.
- Drives efforts to develop progressive safety programs designed to eliminate lost time accidents and meet all state and federal regulations.
- Responsible for the management of inventory levels through the measurement of total inventory value, warehousing space cost, inventory obsolescence, and inventory turns.
- Supports and participates in corporate initiatives to reduce product cost through purchasing contracts and price negotiations.
- Works with engineering to prioritize and manage productivity improvement programs designed to address quality issues, reduce labor cost, or increase material utilization.
- Manages business activities to insure compliance with existing quality systems.
- Develops effective employee communications mechanisms designed to insure that employees understand and participate in supporting the goals of the plant and the corporation.
- Manages individual performance providing coaching, mentoring and performance feedback to insure that plant objectives are achieved.
- Actively supports sales activities and will assume active involvement with customers and customer issues.
- Manages engineering efforts to prioritize and support new sales opportunities.
- Monitors and controls spending to within budget targets. Promotes improvement activities designed to reduce spending.
- Defines employee/team development requirements. Implements training and development activities in support of individual and team growth.
- Takes a leadership role in defining safe practices. Promotes safety awareness within your areas of responsibilities.
- Develops and administers employee training to properly instruct both new and existing employees of their quality, productivity and safety responsibilities. Establishes monitors to make sure that employee performance meets expectations in all three areas.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or Business Administration or equivalent experience.
- 7 to 10 year’s progressive experience in manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability implementing “world-class” business management practices to drive continuous improvement throughout the organization.
- A proven track record implementing teams (work cells) on the production floor.
- Hands-on experience implementing “visual controls” in a manufacturing environment desired.
- Thorough understanding of “lean improvement” tools preferred.
OTHER JOB-SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong people management and development skills.
- Team facilitation, team oriented, and ability to deal with change.
- Strong listening skills.
Click here to apply for this job.
UFP Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.