About UFP Technologies: UFP Technologies is a producer of innovative custom-engineered components, products, and specialty packaging. Using foams, plastics, composites, and natural fiber materials, we design and manufacture a vast range of solutions primarily for the medical, automotive, aerospace & defense, electronics, consumer, and industrial markets. Our team acts as an extension of customers’ in-house research, engineering and manufacturing groups, working closely with them to solve their most complex product and packaging challenges. For our customers, innovation takes many shapes. But each solution is shaped by a level of design, materials and process expertise that is unique to UFP Technologies.
Position Location: Clinton, IA
Summary: The Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for the development and transition into manufacturing of molded fiber products and tooling, working from product concept through transfer to manufacturing. This position will lead product design efforts across multiple functions within the organization in support of key accounts and develop and implement strategies which optimize account profitability without compromising service levels. May provide coaching and mentoring to support the development of both technical staff and operators. Ensures that products can be manufactured, profitably and meet customer requirements.
- Leads product design efforts across multiple functions within the organization in support of key accounts.
- Develops and implements strategies which optimize account profitability without compromising service levels. Updates senior management on account activities, as required.
- Works with sales and management to identify key opportunities that fit with company strategy and are profitable.
- Interacts with multiple disciplines within and outside the organization including sales engineers, customers, vendors, team members, and any other UFP personnel to complete the assigned projects.
- Works with customers and sales to identify customer requirements and design products.
- Recommends the most appropriate and cost-effective materials/fibers, designs and processes for the intended application.
- Utilize established estimating guidelines to provide estimates and proposals for new products.
- Uses ERP system as required.
- Ensures assigned projects are profitable and designed to fit within the company’s capabilities.
- Manages new projects through the creation of product and tooling designs and the complete development process.
- Produces prototype tooling and samples by working with the tool shop as required.
- Assists manufacturing in the transition of new projects from design and development through to production, ensuring all required engineering documentation (drawings, spec sheets, BOM’s) are completed before transfer.
- Develops business opportunities and solves internal and customer related problems through the research and application of new fibers and processes.
- Tests materials and designs through screening testing or to demonstrate basic functionality.
- Works with quality to measure and inspect parts to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Develops plans and associated schedules to transfer products into manufacturing.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to support the development of both technical staff and operators.
- BA in Engineering or equivocal packaging/mechanical experience.
- 10 years of experience designing products and tooling in pulp molding, thermoforming, injection or compression molding field.
- Knowledge of molding equipment, techniques and tooling.
- Must be familiar with internal quality systems and third-party quality systems.
- Proficiency in CAD software including SolidWorks, SolidWorks PDM, as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Project.
Please click here to apply.
UFP Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled